!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Marketing Scam: Harmonic Measurement specification - Digital Power analyzer  (Read 76 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I am currently trying to compare electrical and accuracy specifications of four AC/DC power meter analyzer, its one made due a different brand at Japan, Taiwan and China

This research started by me downloading official product documentation, from all four sources.
And suddenly I did start to feel as an idiot.

I cannot use other words than a Marketing Scam.

In the regard of measuring accuracy:
a) Frequency range VS  Voltage = all specifications are identical.
b) Frequency range VS  Current = all specifications are identical.
c) Harmonic Measurement specification for Voltage, Current and Power = all specifications are identical.
e) Harmonic Analysis specification FFT and hardware limits = all specifications are identical.

And I am asking of how this is possible?
Having all numbers identical this is not possible, if total of these specification they were inspected due High-End FLUKE multi function calibrator.
About Harmonic Measurement specification, I am now guessing that a Premium spectrum analyzer calibrator, this it should be used too. 

In my research, I thought Harmonic Measurement specification for Power, which includes sum of errors at voltage + current + bandwidth + power factor,  this to be the magical specification which I could use so to determine which of the four different in hardware products, this is the best.

I have wasted one entire week at this research, and now I am still swimming within a pit of mud.   :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     

As reference product I did use Yokogawa WT310E
Its interesting that Yokogawa while it deliver data for wide range of frequency for V / I/ P,  they also add a note:
Power figures that exceed 1.2 kHz are reference values.

According to my Greek brain cells, reference values = one unconfirmed speculation.

New big question, what Yokogawa competitors do so them to classify their products, as equal or better than Yokogawa's WT310E ?
This Marketing Scam, of copy and paste measurement accuracy product specification, this is not helping.

Yokogawa this is not a God at written product documentation.
They are several topics, that Yokogawa product documentation this does not cover.
All Yokogawa competitors, neither them got in the trouble so to deliver any better and analytical information's.

I am forced to add here HIOKI brand, as this to be an exception, they do have their own writing style regarding Digital Power analyzer products documentation.
But neither HIOKI this is perfect or a God, at Harmonic Measurement specification, IEC61000-4-7 Testing and measurement techniques.
Neither HIOKI uses proper terms,  about  harmonics grouping, without grouping, and or IEC 61000-4-7 (2014) which this requires
measurements to be made with sub-grouping. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Digital Power analyzer electronics and hardware.

Naturally I have no doubt that Yokogawa's WT310E / competitors, they DO NOT use identical PCB and electronic components.
WT310E  PRESS RELEASE Date: January 12, 2016
Today September 2024, this is 7 years in the market.

I am not electronics design engineer, I do not have digital power meter product design knowledge.
But few competitors of WT310E, they did succeed to differentiate, only at the sector of computing speed, for best analysis of 100 kHz bandwidth.
In theory, higher computing speed, this delivers higher amount of sampling resolution, an MCU at 1 MHz this can serve inadequately at the analysis of 300 KHz bandwidth. 

And here comes and another question, who cares for a better harmonic analysis at 300 KHz bandwidth for DC ?   
At my own eyes, new Marketing Scam, this is bandwidth advertising for DC specification. 

In summary, IEC has set Standards, for AC electrical quantities measurement and analysis.

At AC 50Hz & 60Hz fundamental frequencies, all quantities they are measured within the bandwidth 45 Hz to 65Hz.
Electrical systems bandwidth  for boats and aircraft,  50 Hz up to 440 Hz. 
Harmonic analysis bandwidth for AC, 10Hz up to 2.5 kHz bandwidth. 

One fresh doubt now puzzle my head, this is whom to believe about him truly following  EC 61000-4-7 - 2012 along of latest (2014) revision, which this requires
measurements to be made with sub-grouping. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
It might be out there and another explanation, all of them buying chips for their products, from the same source  ;)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix