!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Agilent Keysight U1173A IR wire to USB and hardware conversion to U1173B  (Read 183 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This topic brings back to life an old issue, about operating system compatibility of U1173A  (IR to USB) up to Windows 7 (driver support).
Agilent Keysight U1173B, this has in hardware a later made Prolific chip, identical in functionality with PL-2303HX, but device ID this is newer and is compatible with Windows 8 and higher.

Due this topic I will simply share one possible workaround for the brave ones.  :)
I am not an electronics engineer, I could never think and explore this possibility due my own powers.

What actually Agilent / Keysight did at newer U1173B, this is IC chip replacement, with a newer one.
No other circuit diagram adjustments required.

I do hate to see working computer hardware to be trashed, simply because Microsoft plays it own profitability games.
I feel this as harassment, when added software restrictions they set in place so consumers to be forced to spent more and buy something that they all ready have. 

Any way, a long story in sort version,  the brave ones they may move forwards and do their own Prolific chip Upgrade in hardware  :)
You may dare to test your chances at eBay.
Bellow they are photographs proofs of successful IC replacement.

======================================================
But today there is and another fresher Microsoft / Prolific  Note regarding Windows 11.
The newer PL-2303TA which was the replacement of older PL-2303HX, this is not good enough for Win 11.
Long term software compatibility nowadays this shifted to PL-2303GC

Few years ago, I did search for a modern RS-232 Serial to USB cable for my FLUKE 8846A.
I did buy a cable from UK,  with PL-2303RA by thinking that I will never get bothered again about operating system compatibility.
And Microsoft this came once again so to disturb my own planing and to theoretically send to trash my investment in cash, if I decide to move forwards to W11.   

My best advice on the subject, always keep a good workstation PC with Win7 as spare computer at your lab, so to use it for data logging purposes.
I am unaware if Keysight Handheld Meter Logger software this keeps compatibility with Win 11 either. 

In conclusion, do your own homework and get prepared for the worst.
Do not alter the operating system of a good working Win7 - Win8 laptop, as a minimum step of defense.     
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix