!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: speakON Series Connector 4 pole - The unknown Kelvin solution for DIY  (Read 76 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
If you have never come close to Neutrik speakON Series Connector, then you are totally unaware of it electrical characteristics.

This is a 4 pole connector:
Rated voltage 250 V ac
CSA approved rating 25 A (4 pole) rms continuous
CSA approved rating 12.5 A (2 pole) rms continuous 
Rated current per contact 30 / 40A rms continuous

Not waterproof.

Contact Resistance. 2 < mΩ

Lifetime, > 5000 mating cycles

=========================================

Even if you are not working with Audio high power PA systems, this speakON 4 pole connector, it has potentials so to be used at many other electrical T&M applications.
a) PRTD sensor extension wire ?
b) Four wire kelvin extension ?

This thing comes out as Chassis Connector and also as Cable Connector.
In the world of professional electrical DIY this thing has potentials! 

You may also create an extension of four wire  (in door) for electrical test equipment.
Or even to combine two pair of wires so to create DC power supply cable extension for the delivery of 20 A continues due male cable / female cable connector.

The only negative that I can see at this design of connector, is that is not dust proof.
Safe temperature range =  -33 °C  ~  80 °C

=========================================

I was actually forced to buy and touch one speakON.  :)
As I accepted to test and diagnose high power PA amplifier along a pair of PA speakers 400W its one.
There was a catastrophic event, and I had to find out of which equipment survived.

I did buy locally speakON imitation connector for 2.5 Euro, and I did create my own test harness.
PA amplifier this survived, I did test with my multimeter the output with no input signal, output in mV this found normal at both channel.
Then I did configure the multimeter so this to measure audio output, and both channel delivered equal results Min/Max volts.

But the pair of 400W speakers this did not survive from the previews catastrophic event.
All three drives in its cabinet (three way) they were destroyed (equivalence price for a new pair = 2400 Euro).

Either way this is the sort version of the story, of how I did discover speakON and of what this is capable to do.  ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
I did a quick search about specific Neutrik Speakon Compatible electrical characteristics, and naturally these are a bit lower than the real thing.

Lifetime, > 1000 mating cycles
30A max (4 pole)
Contact Resistance. 10 < mΩ
Made in China ...

And also I did read a few complains if you try to use thinner wires.
They might easily pull out? 

Other than that, it is an interesting connector for a four wires extension. :) 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Well they are real facts, about electrical specification from the side of the amplifier.   ;)
Example: 2x600W this can raise output voltage up to 130V DC.

Per channel calculation  600W / 130V = 4.61A continues (2 pole)

I will agree, Speakon Compatible this cannot be considered as top range workhorse. :)
Even if rated voltage this is half than 250 V ac (real thing), this is still good to use for up to 600W per channel.

The design of connector which I found locally, the cheapest internet price for it, this is 1$ USD.
There is a second factory this making much cheaper ones at 0.30 $ USD.

Currently I do not have plans using Speakon Compatible at any upcoming project, but it feels good to know of where it might seem as useful.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix